Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cock of the Walk

I don't care if peacocks are "out."

I've been into them since, at 17, I visited Royal Roads University in Victoria and found out they're everywhere there. Un-zoo-kept. Free-range peacocks who just happen to live in the area and strut their stuff around campus, waiting for you to hand-feed them things. It's wild. And an exotic Canadian mascot when placed next to all our plain brown icons like moose, beavers and bears.

Anywhooooo, it's those west coast hoser birds that inspired this belt - not the last year's wave of peacock earrings and H&M dresses (though I do love those as well).

I held my breath for the entire two hours it took to get the belt to this point. I plan to finish up this week and submit it at next week's meeting of the Hamilton chapter of the CSCL, for consideration to be included in this year's submission for the Weston Trophy. A single too-long cut, a smudge of dye, or a tool out of place and I look like a hack, so hold your breath with me tomorrow and Thursday.

Here he is so far. Nude and un-tooled.

No comments: