Thursday, April 1, 2010

Awesomer than a Speeding Bullet

An old Tandy sissybar bag design - meant for motorcycles, retrofitted for bodies, intended for camera nerds. I call it the Daily Planet Purse.

This is my first attempt and there are already some things I'll do differently on my next one.

1) Line the strap to make it a little more heavy-duty. Some people probably know how to take care of nice things, but I try to deisgn for myself because I am crazy hard on stuff (especially bags) and I want to offer pieces worth their price tags. Pieces that last.

2) I love the look of the buckles, but I might try this design with a variety of closures including snaps and twist locks, just because I'm really awful at cutting circular shapes. These straps came off not too bad, but less slick than I would like.

3) Interior lining. I don't necessarily want to do it with leather or suede because that makes the whole thing harder, both for me to stitch and people to afford. I'm thinking of vintage fabric. I did this way back on the first wallet I ever made, but stopped after that because I worried the fabric would fray and end up looking really shitty. However, I've been using that wallet for a year now and the lining is doing well, so maybe I'll take a swing at lining a purse the same way.

Anyway, I'm looking to sell this discount-style because it does have imperfections and I'd like to hear how it wears/holds up/suggestions.

Let me know if you're interested, or I'll be forced to test it myself. Oh darn!









1 comment:

Hollie said...

looks awesome! i still owe you a pie! i promise i will deliver soon.